All writers need editing. Whether you’re self-publishing, seeking an agent, or submitting to a publisher, your work needs to show that you are a professional writer. Before you submit your manuscript to an agent or publisher, you need professional, unbiased feedback to ensure your work gets the attention it deserves. An editor can help you focus and refine your work so it passes the “first five pages” test used by agents.
As a writer, I understand how hard you’ve worked and how frustrating it can be to bring a book to publication. When I work on your manuscript, my aim is to make your book as good as it can be.
If you have:
- a finished manuscript but you’re not sure about its quality or marketability
- an uncompleted manuscript that you’re struggling with
- several chapters written, but you’re not sure how to proceed
- a desire to collaborate with an editor to finish and polish your work
A manuscript appraisal gives you valuable feedback.
Manuscript Appraisal for Novels and Memoirs
I read your book and provide detailed written feedback on your book’s strengths and weaknesses, focusing on the “big picture” aspects. We also can speak in person, by phone or ZOOM, about your project.
- Does the beginning entice the reader?
- Are characters interesting and believable?
- Does the dialogue work?
- Plot and placing
- Story Structure
- Point of View
- Genre conventions
- Language style, consistency, relation to theme
Manuscript Appraisal for Nonfiction Books
I read your book with the intended audience in mind. I provide detailed feedback focused on the “big picture issues” and how your message addresses your audience.
- Does the first chapter reveal the premise and intrigue the reader?
- Clear concepts and sub-concepts
- Structure and pacing
- Logic & organization
- Point of view and tone
- Does it speak to the intended audience?
- Is it persuasive?
Cost for a 50,000-word manuscript is $500. For longer or shorter projects, contact me for a quote.
I read your book and provide feedback to improve the clarity and effectiveness of your language. I use the track changes function in Word and also provide a separate memo on how to improve the language.
- Sentence structure & clarity
- Passive voice
- Scene and narrative
- Point of view shifts
- Inaccuracies & repetition
- Plot issues
Pricing for line/copyediting depends on the length and type of material. I offer a free 10-page sample edit to decide if we are a good fit for each other.